Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Tasty Tuesdays: Hoagie Rolls

Today is my first official Tasty Tuesday's post, and I hope to have many more to come. My hopes for Tasty Tuesdays are: to share pictures and posts of food that I've made, and to share some recipes from other bloggers too.

So, let's get to it!!!


Today's Recipe : Homemade Hoagie Rolls

I got this recipe from saminacooks.com way back in 2011. I've been making loaf bread for over 8 years now, and I usually make Italian bread more often than loaf bread simply because it's not as time consuming,  but for all my many years of baking bread, I could never find a really good hoagie roll recipe, until I stumbled upon saminacooks.com. Her recipe produced a really soft hoagie roll that could also stand up to loads of fillings and sauce. 

In the pictures below I used my hoagie rolls for sloppy joes.



If you've never made hoagie rolls then, I highly recommend  Samina's recipe, and I hope you try your hand at making some real soon.


Ingredients

1 1/4 cup warm water
2 1/2 teaspoon of yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 1/2 teaspoon of sugar

Directions

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Then add just enough water to make a soft dough.
Cover dough and allow to rest for at least 1 hour (double its size).
Divide the dough into six pieces.
On a floured surface, roll out one piece into a rectangle.
Roll dough (from the long side) into a log and press the seam closed.
Fold the ends under the log and place roll on a greased baking sheet(you want the rolls to be at least 2 inches a part)
Repeat with remaining 5 pieces of dough.
Allow dough to rise for 1 hour
With a sharp knife, cut 2 or 3 diagonal slashes in each roll and allow dough to rest for 15 minutes (try not to touch the rolls)
Preheat oven to 450 F and make sure you have two racks in the oven. On the lower rack place, place a baking pan.
Set a small pot of water to boil.
When the oven is hot and the water is boiling, place tray or trays  inside the oven on top rack. Before closing the door, pour the hot water into baking pans beneath the rolls.
Bake 15-20 minutes or until you smell bread.

Hope you enjoy!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment