Friday, April 16, 2021

First of the Season: Watermelon Seedling


Look what I found---The first watermelon sprout of the season.
Also the first time I've planted watermelon seeds this early. I usually like to wait until May to plant watermelon seeds, however, I decided to give April a chance, and if it didn't workout, I always knew May would workout.

Even though I'm a zone 7 gardener, my area is still prone to a few days of frost in April after a week of hot days, and this April was one of those times.

When I planted the seeds, temperatures were warm and three days later we got rain and extremely cold weather. The frost actually damaged my hydrangeas, a little, and my thoughts immediately went to the watermelon seeds tucked snuggly in the earth--waiting for its grand appearance.

Would the frost kill the seeds or will the frost come and go quickly and the seeds will be spared?

Looks like one seed has made it through the cooler temperatures, now will the others pop through?


#agreenhaven #growfood
#watermelon

No comments:

Post a Comment