Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Spring Break Sowings: Corn and Sunflowers

Finally planted sunflower and corn seeds in the ground, yesterday. Compared to last year, I'm late getting them in the ground, however, I'm not late getting them planted, though.

This year the corn has been planted in blocks of five instead of a single row. Last year's harvest was nice, and grew pretty well. In fact, the corn was a real head turner and conversational piece with the neighbors---it was grown in the front yard.

My 7 year old nephew's excitement to dig holes and pull weeds made planting a lot easier on me, but honestly it was fun seeing him having a ball!

As he dug holes while my daughter supervised him, I made a small trench behind the corn to be filled in with mammoth sunflower seeds. I always thickly fill in the sunflower seeds for a greater chance of germination. Next step is to lightly cover the seeds with soil, water and wait for their gorgeous emergence!




No comments:

Post a Comment